Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Double strike + Trample versus Protection

Double strike + Trample versus Protection

Aug. 7, 2014 06:12:26 PM

Jacob Milicic
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Great Lakes

This came up at my local Standard tournament last night, and after rereading the relevant rules I wanted to make sure I understand this interaction correctly.

Adrian attacks with Prophetic Flamespeaker. Neville blocks with a 1/1 Spirit token. Before damage, Neville casts Gods Willing, targeting the Spirit token, naming red on Resolution. Also before damage, Adrian Bloodrushes Rubblebelt Maaka targeting his Prophetic Flamespeaker.

The first strike combat damage step is easy enough. Adrian must assign at least 1 damage from Prophetic Flamespeaker and can assign up to 3 damage to Neville.

The normal combat damage step is trickier, and this is where I am requesting clarification. According to the complete rules, damage that would be dealt and is prevented never happens, and trample checks to see only if a creature either already has lethal damage marked on it or is being assigned lethal damage in the same combat damage step by another source to determine how much damage must be assigned to blocking creatures. Since the Spirit token has Protection from red, there should be no damaged marked on it from the first strike combat damage step. This would then require Prophetic Flamespeaker to assign another 1 damage to the blocking Spirit token and can assign up to 3 more damage to Neville.

Is the above interpretation of this interaction correct?

Edit: fixed some English

Edited Jacob Milicic (Aug. 7, 2014 06:50:45 PM)

Aug. 7, 2014 06:15:31 PM

Daniel Kitachewsky
Judge (Uncertified)

France

Entirely correct, for the reasons you state.

Daniel Kitachewsky
L4, Paris, France
Rules NetRep