Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: My "famous" Banisher Priest / Clone / Chromanticore question

My "famous" Banisher Priest / Clone / Chromanticore question

Oct. 24, 2014 01:00:22 AM

Joseph Steet
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

Hello judges, some of you have already heard this question but here it is for anyone unfamiliar

You control a Banisher Priest, which has exiled my Clone. Your Banisher Priest is also bestowed with your Chromanticore. I fuse Far/Away targeting the Banisher Priest and you, can my Clone copy your Chromanticore?

The question arises from whether the Chromanticore “manimates” fast enough to be seen as a creature when the Clone would enter the battlefield.

The answer I've been told more commonly is that yes it can copy it, because the Chromanticore manimates immediately (via layers) whereas Clone needs to confirm that Banisher Priest is not on the battlefield before it can come out of exile. I'm hoping for some CR support on this timing, as I don't see why there wouldn't be the same “pause for confirmation” on the Banisher Priest leaving for both the Clone and the Chromanticore.

Thanks!

Oct. 27, 2014 04:38:54 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

Yes, the returning Clone can copy the formerly-bestowed Chromanticore.

The first part of Far//Away resolves, and bounces the Banisher Priest. That causes the type changing effect of Chromanticore to end, and Chromanticore's effect ends and it becomes a creature (see 702.102a). Then Clone returns to the battlefield, due to 610.3. At the point when Clone is entering the battlefield, Chromanticore is a creature, and is copiable by the Clone in this case. This question doesn't have anything to do with layers, it has to do with one-shot effects ending.

702.102a Bestow represents two static abilities, one that functions while the card with bestow is on the stack and another that functions both while it’s on the stack and while it’s on the battlefield. “Bestow ” means “You may cast this card by paying rather than its mana cost.” and “If you chose to pay this spell’s bestow cost, it becomes an Aura enchantment and gains enchant creature. These effects last until one of two things happens: this spell has an illegal target as it resolves or the permanent this spell becomes, becomes unattached.” Paying a card’s bestow cost follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2e–g.

610.3. Some one-shot effects cause an object to change zones “until” a specified event occurs. A second one-shot effect is created immediately after the specified event. This second one-shot effect returns the object to its previous zone.

Nathan Long
Wizards.Com Boards NetRep
  • Index
  • » Rules Q&A
  • » My "famous" Banisher Priest / Clone / Chromanticore question