Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Disciple of Deceit with Fuse Spells, MTGO Vs IRL

Disciple of Deceit with Fuse Spells, MTGO Vs IRL

June 1, 2014 11:39:48 PM

Andrew Dang
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Pacific West

Due to rule:
702.101. Fuse:

702.101b A fused split spell has two sets of characteristics and one converted mana cost. The converted mana cost of the spell is a number equal to the total amount of mana in its two mana costs, regardless of color.

This making Disciple of Deceit's ability, Inspired — Whenever Disciple of Deceit becomes untapped, you may discard a nonland card. If you do, search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as that card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library, for example let us use the spell Far//Away referring to the rule of 702.101b its CVM would be 5 mana. This would only let us search for spells with the same converted mana cost, again that being 5. But, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixJBPcoLY7A#t=419, this video clearly demonstrates that we are able to search for either a spell of 2 mana or 3 mana. I would understand this if it were going off of 708. Split:

708.2. In every zone except the stack, split cards have two sets of characteristics and two converted mana costs. As long as a split card is a spell on the stack, only the characteristics of the half being cast exist. The other half’s characteristics are treated as though they didn’t exist.

Otherwise it is confusing for me as to why it would work this way online and I can only refer to it as an error.
I believe its something that should be updated as to not confuse the people watching the video that was posted online.

Edited Andrew Dang (June 1, 2014 11:43:14 PM)

June 2, 2014 12:22:39 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

The point that you missed is that the first rule you quoted (702.101b) only applies to fused spell on the stack, not a card with fuse in other zones like the hand or graveyard. When the fused spell is not on the stack, it has two converted mana costs since it is a split card (as stated in 708.2), so discarding something like Turn//Burn to the Disciple's trigger will let you search for something with a converted mana cost of 2 or 3, but not 5.

Nathan Long
Wizards.Com Boards NetRep