Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Boros Fury-Shield and Spending Mana as mana of other colors.

Boros Fury-Shield and Spending Mana as mana of other colors.

Aug. 13, 2014 09:35:25 AM

Trey Cizek
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Pacific West

I can't find any CR documentation that lends credence to how to handle what happens when a spell asks about what colors of mana were paid as part of a spell's cost, so I would appreciate any CR documentation that can be provided for personal reference.

I control Mycosynth Lattice and am about ready to cast Boros Fury-Shield.

If I pay for the Shield using {2}{W}, spending one of the colorless mana as though it were a red mana, do I get the added effect?

Contrast this with: If I pay for the Shield using {2}{R}, spending the red mana as though it were white, do I get the added effect now?

Aug. 14, 2014 02:30:55 AM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

1. While you can spend your mana as though it were mana of any color, the Fury-Shield knows what color of mana you actually spent to cast the spell. In this first case, you only used colorless mana to cast the spell. You didn't spend any actual red mana to cast the spell, so you will not get the bonus effect.

2. Yes you will. You spent red mana to cast the spell, so you would get the bonus effect from the Fury-Shield.

So you cannot use effects like the Lattice to try to get the bonus effect, since the Fury-Shield will look at the actual color of mana you spent to cast the spell, not what color of mana you decided to treat it as.

Nathan Long
Wizards.Com Boards NetRep
  • Index
  • » Rules Q&A
  • » Boros Fury-Shield and Spending Mana as mana of other colors.