Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Does the copy of a card count as a card?

Does the copy of a card count as a card?

Nov. 9, 2014 01:22:22 PM

Mario Haßler
Judge (Uncertified)

German-speaking countries

Using my Isochron Scepter, I create a copy of the imprinted instant card and cast it. On the stack, it is a spell (see e.g. CR 706.12). When it resolves, it goes to the graveyard. Does it trigger “whenever a card is put onto a graveyard” abilities (e. g. of Quest for Ancient Secrets)?

I guess yes, as it is a spell represented by the copy of a card. Although the visible result is the same, this is different from the copy of a spell which isn't represented by anything on the stack.

However, there are clear words in the Comprehensive Rules like a copy of a spell is spell or a token is a permanent, but not so clear words about a copy of a card being a card. I can only guess from CR 704.5e: " If a copy of a card is in any zone other than the stack or the battlefield, it ceases to exist." — as state-based actions aren't checked during the casting of a spell, mentioning the stack here only makes sense when the spell continues to be also a copy of a card on the stack.

That's why I'd like to have it confirmed. If I'm missing a rule that would have answered it, I'd be glad to hear about it. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Mario Haßler

Edit: Someone pointed me to CR 109.1. Here, a “card” seems to be a different kind of object than a “copy of a card”, which contradicts my assumption…

Edited Mario Haßler (Nov. 9, 2014 02:41:04 PM)

Nov. 11, 2014 12:33:05 AM

Callum Milne
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada - Western Provinces

Whether or not something is a card (like whether or not something is a token) is not a property that can be copied. As such, the copy created by Isochron Scepter is not itself a card, and would not trigger the ability of Quest for Ancient Secrets or similar.