Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Soulflayer - To link or not to link

Soulflayer - To link or not to link

Feb. 3, 2015 08:19:29 AM

Gregory Titov
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Canada - Eastern Provinces

So, after reading the recent Q&A ruling on Soulflayer, a couple friends and I had a chat, trying to reason out the classification of the ability and how it works. We eventually came to the consensus that the cards do not need to remain in exile for Soulflayer to have it's abilities, and mostly agreed then that it was a linked ability after reviewing the section on linked abilities

I'm honestly stumped now after reading that this is not a linked ability, and was hoping you could explain to me why it lacks that classification.

The point that has me stuck on it being linked is 607.2a and 607.2b

607.2a If an object has an activated or triggered ability printed on it that instructs a player to exile
one or more cards and an ability printed on it that refers either to “the exiled cards”
or to cards
“exiled with ,” these abilities are linked. The second ability refers only to cards in
the exile zone that were put there as a result of an instruction to exile them in the first ability.

607.2b If an object has an ability printed
on it that generates a replacement effect which causes one
or more cards to be exiled and an ability printed on it that refers either to “the exiled cards” or to
cards “exiled with ,” these abilities are linked. The second ability refers only
to
cards in the exile zone that were put there as a direct result of a replacement event caused by the
first ability. See rule 614, “Replacement Effects.”

I'm not oblivious to the last lines of both these rules, stating that it's refering to the cards that are in the exile zone, but aside from that it seems to fit the bill so to speak.

soulflayer

Feb. 10, 2015 12:39:31 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

It is not a linked ability. Delve is a static ability. It is not an activated or triggered ability, so 607.2a does not apply, and it is not a replacement effect, so 607.2b does not apply. Soulflayer only cares about the cards that were initially delved away, and since it is not a linked ability, it will gain the stated abilities, even if the cards are no longer exiled later on.

Nathan Long
Wizards.Com Boards NetRep