Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Ending the Turn

Ending the Turn

June 24, 2015 07:01:51 AM

Beau
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Midatlantic

Ending the Turn

I have a question regarding procedures for ending the turn, section 713. This question arose due to Day's Undoing, from the upcoming Magic Origins, but applies to 713 as a whole rather than the upcoming card specifically, so I thought that I'd try asking for clarification.

One of the Gatherer rulings for Time Stop says: "7/15/2007: If any triggered abilities do trigger during this process , they're put onto the stack during the cleanup step.“ However, this seems to partially contradict 713.2: ”… If any triggered abilities have triggered between the spell or ability resolving and the cleanup step ending, those abilities are put onto the stack during the cleanup step…"

The difference here being, the Gatherer ruling seems to include triggered abilities that trigger during the resolution of Time Stop (or other end-the-turn effects), while 703.2 ignores those abilities that triggered before the spell or ability finishes resolving. A current example of this distinction is casting Time Stop on my turn with any state trigger (e.g. Dark Depths) on the stack; according to the Gatherer ruling, that state trigger goes onto the stack during my cleanup (because it triggers again once the first copy is exiled from the stack), but according to 703.2, that state trigger would be ignored until your upkeep, when a new copy of it would be put onto the stack.

EDIT: Answered by Tabak. 713.2 will be clarified with the next set. It is my understanding, the way his answer is worded, that the Gatherer ruling quoted above is incorrect, and that 713.2 is correct as it stands (triggers between end-of-resolution and end-of-cleanup-step are the only triggers that go on the stack), but will be clarified to make that more obvious. https://twitter.com/TabakRules/status/613760840093728768

Edited Beau (June 29, 2015 05:29:53 AM)