Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Question on FAQ for Alhammarret's Archive

Question on FAQ for Alhammarret's Archive

July 9, 2015 02:58:35 PM

Cris Plyler
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Great Lakes

Alhammarret's Archive

- Similarly, the effects of the last abilities of multiple Archives are cumulative. If you control two, you'll draw four times the number of cards, and so on.

This was posted in the FAQ's that if there are two of them out (setting aside the legendary rule) that if you would draw a card you would draw 4 cards instead of 1. To me it seems like you should only draw 3 cards, so if I'm incorrect could you correct me and point out where my error is in my line of thinking:

You attempt to draw a card, there are two replacement effects trying to replace that event so you choose one. So at this point the new event is drawing two cards. Cards however are still drawn one at a time so you attempt to draw a card which then then has the second replacement effect apply and so you'd draw two cards instead. At that point both replacement effects have applied to that event and you'd draw three cards since they can't continuously apply to the same event. So the question is would the second replacement effect still apply to the second card draw even though it's already applied to the event?

Thanks
Cris Plyler

July 10, 2015 06:26:13 PM

Callum Milne
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada - Western Provinces

The Release Notes are correct. If you control two Archives (somehow), then all of your extra draws will be quadrupled.

When one Archive replaces a card draw, it replaces something that both Archives perceive as one action (a card draw) with two actions. (Two card draws.) The second Archive will then apply separately to each of those two card draws, resulting in a total of four cards drawn–applying to the first one doesn't stop it from applying to the second one, because they're two separate actions.

(This is the same reason why casting Divination with only a single Archive out will get you four cards rather than three.)