Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Opal Palace

Opal Palace

Sept. 16, 2015 01:41:15 PM

Todd Bussey
Judge (Uncertified)

None

Opal Palace

Opal Palace
Mana Reflection
Twiddle

I activate Opal Palace's second mana ability and it produces two mana due to Mana Reflection.

I use that mana to cast my commander, presumably it enters with X +1/+1 counters for the additional effect of Opal Palace as opposed to 2X +1/+1 counters because the effect is “linked” to the batch of mana produced, not each individual mana.

If I activated Opal Palace's second ability twice, by untapping it with Twiddle, and I cast my commander spending the mana produced from both activations, would the commander enter with 2X +1/+1 counters because there are two replacement effects, one tied to each batch of mana produced?

For reference, here is the discussion that brought about the question.

As a follow up question:
If I activated Opal Palace's second mana ability and it produces two mana due to Mana Reflection, I then cast my commander using one of the mana, Fling her and recast her using the other mana, does she get counters on the second casting?

Edited Todd Bussey (Sept. 21, 2015 04:14:49 PM)

Sept. 20, 2015 09:47:08 PM

Callum Milne
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada - Western Provinces

Opal Palace

Your presumptions are correct. If Opal Palace somehow manages to produce more than one mana in a single activation, spending all of that mana on the same spell will not yield an increased effect, since the replacement only cares whether or not mana from the activation was spent to cast the spell, not how many individual points were spent.

Multiple Palace activations, on the other hand, will yield an increased effect, because each activation creates a separate replacement effect that applies to the spell.