Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Blood Moon, Hunting Wilds and Nonbasic Forests

Blood Moon, Hunting Wilds and Nonbasic Forests

Oct. 30, 2015 08:57:32 AM

Ian Pinsker
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Great Lakes

Nora controls Blood Moon. Andy casts Hunting Wilds with Kicker, and finds Breeding Pool, Stomping Ground. What happens? Why?

Thanks! I'm posting here on the reccomendation of my RC as I've gotten 3 different answers from 3 different judges (L1-L3) so far.

The most relevant CR text I can find are 607.2c, 607.3, and 608.2i but none of them refer to linked spell abilities that refer to objects or cards put in play by the linked abilities. Basically I think I'm asking if the two abilities are linked, and if so, does the 2nd ability retain the information of which cards were put in play from the 1st or does it recheck the characteristics after Blood Moon has begun applying. In other words I'm trying to define “Forests” in relation to this card.

607.2c If an object has an activated or triggered ability printed on it that puts one or more objects onto the battlefield and an ability printed on it that refers to objects “put onto the battlefield with ,” those abilities are linked. The second can refer only to objects put onto the battlefield as a result of the first.

607.3. If, within a pair of linked abilities, one ability refers to a single object as “the exiled card,” “a card exiled with ,” or a similar phrase, and the other ability has exiled multiple cards (usually because it was copied), the ability refers to each of the exiled cards. If that ability asks for any information about the exiled card, such as a characteristic or converted mana cost, it gets multiple answers. If these answers are used to determine the value of a variable, the sum of the answers is used. If that ability performs any actions on the exiled card, it performs that action on each exiled card.

608.2i If an ability’s effect refers to a specific untargeted object that has been previously referred to by that ability’s cost or trigger condition, it still affects that object even if the object has changed characteristics.

EDIT: Added CR text for the rules sections I referenced.

Edited Ian Pinsker (Nov. 6, 2015 08:29:56 AM)

Nov. 10, 2015 03:39:14 PM

Callum Milne
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada - Western Provinces

If a kicked Hunting Wilds searches up Stomping Grounds and Breeding Pool under a Blood Moon, those lands will not untap and will not become creatures, since they are not Forests while on the battlefield.

This happens basically because Hunting Wilds is a weird card that works weirdly. As laid out in CR201.5, when an ability references a specific object with a phrase such as “that creature” or “those Forests”, it doesn't actually care if the object it's referring to has that specific type–it's just using English to make it clear which object it's referring to. But Hunting Wilds doesn't use this kind of referential phrase. Instead the first spell ability puts out some lands, and then a second one checks for any Forests put onto the battlefield using that first ability and performs some additional actions on them. If, for some reason, the lands placed onto the battlefield by the first ability aren't Forests, they won't be untapped and won't become creatures.

See Nissa, Worldwaker for an example of a card that uses referents to perform a similar task. Thanks to the use of referents, Nissa will turn everything she searches up into a creature even if they somehow stopped being lands on the battlefield. Hunting Wilds is not so generous.