Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Garruk Relentless and Glittering Wish

Garruk Relentless and Glittering Wish

Feb. 16, 2013 03:13:48 PM

Don Diaz
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northwest

So, I came across a question that has stumped me.
Can you use Glittering Wish to get a Garruk Relentless from your sideboard?

I know that rule 711.2a says that a DFC has only the characteristics of it's face up side in all zones other than the battlefield, but then somone posted this
In fact, the rules show that you can get a Garruk Relentless because it is all the characteristics of both sides:

Quote:
200.1. The parts of a card are name, mana cost, illustration, color indicator, type line, expansion
symbol, text box, power and toughness, loyalty, hand modifier, life modifier, illustration credit,
legal text, and collector number. Some cards may have more than one of any or all of these parts.
Some cards may have more than one of any or all of these parts.

Quote:
109.3. An object’s characteristics are name, mana cost, color, color indicator, card type, subtype,
supertype, expansion symbol, rules text, abilities, power, toughness, loyalty, hand modifier, and life
modifier. Objects can have some or all of these characteristics. Any other information about an
object isn’t a characteristic. For example, characteristics don’t include whether a permanent is
tapped, a spell’s target, an object’s owner or controller, what an Aura enchants, and so on.
Those things are an object's characteristics.
Therefore, in particular, some cards may have more than one color indicator, which is a characteristic of an object.

Quote:
711.2. Each face of a double-faced card has its own set of characteristics.
Indeed, a Garruk Relentless -has- more than one color indicator, one from each set of characteristics you get from each face.

Quote:
400.10. An object is outside the game if it isn’t in any of the game’s zones. Outside the game is not a
zone.
Just to establish that none of the rules from 711 apply. (Particularly 711.2a)

With the preceding, I think you can see how one could prove formally that Garruk Relentless not inside the game in fact is Green and Black, and therefore multicolored.

Which leads me to believe that you may indeed be able to get Garruk with the Wish.

What is the official ruling on this scenario?

Feb. 22, 2013 02:09:10 AM

Daniel Kitachewsky
Judge (Uncertified)

France

You can't take Garruk Relentless with Glittering Wish.

It doesn't derive from current rules which forget to mention which characteristics we use outside of the game.

EDH uses both sides to establish what a double-faced card's color identity is, but this is specific to EDH. For non-EDH Magic, only the day face's characteristics should be considered.

Most likely, 711.2a will be amended to mention that.

Daniel Kitachewsky
L3, Paris, France
Rules NetRep