Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: OAs and Forever

OAs and Forever

Dec. 6, 2016 10:09:32 AM

Diego Antonio Hernández Meruane
Judge (Uncertified)

Hispanic America - South

OAs and Forever

Originally posted by Yonatan Kamensky:

Eric Paré
Milan Majerčík
No. You will ask Shivan for his DCI number, add him into the event and report the infraction. In order to keep track of it in WotC DB.
I thought that's what we do only if a spectator commits an Unsporting Conduct penalty, or am I wrong?

Your are right. Here (for me) we just need to educated the spectator.
This is incorrect. MTR 1.2 clearly states “being enrolled in the tournament is not a requirement to receive a penalty”

Thank for your aclaration. :D But he, we friend say “add him into the event and report the infraction”…so we dont report the infraction, but we can enrolled.

Edited Diego Antonio Hernández Meruane (Dec. 6, 2016 10:10:39 AM)

Dec. 6, 2016 10:18:30 AM

Yonatan Kamensky
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

OAs and Forever

Originally posted by Diego Antonio Hernández Meruane:

Yonatan Kamensky
This is incorrect. MTR 1.2 clearly states “being enrolled in the tournament is not a requirement to receive a penalty”

Thank for your aclaration. :D But he, we friend say “add him into the event and report the infraction”…so we dont report the infraction, but we can enrolled.
I'm confused. The only reason we're enrolling someone (even to the point of issuing them a DCI number) is to issue the infraction. Is it not?

Dec. 6, 2016 10:24:07 AM

Shawn Doherty
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Midatlantic

OAs and Forever

So, if a spectator commits an infraction, they can still receive a penalty for it, even if they are not currently enrolled in the tournament. (That's what MTR 1.2 is saying)
However, to actually record and track the penalty, the spectator is enrolled in the event (in WER).

Edited Shawn Doherty (Dec. 6, 2016 10:27:50 AM)

Dec. 6, 2016 10:27:43 AM

Judge (Uncertified)

Hispanic America - South

OAs and Forever

Originally posted by Yonatan Kamensky:

Shawn Doherty

Yonatan, i made a mistake whit situation when i was answering your citation.

Shawn put the correct answer.

Diger :D

Dec. 6, 2016 12:51:42 PM

Toby Hazes
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

BeNeLux

OAs and Forever

Originally posted by Mitchell Wetherson:

So assuming this is not Outside Assistance - as that would make this irrelevant and the penalty/fix/what to do relatively simple -why is what Shivan did wrong or necessitates being pulled away from the match? I understand if Nalathni no longer wishes to have him observing that's a separate issue. But assuming that telling a friend to draw is not considered outside assistance why punish him by no longer allowing him to spectate.

If what he said does not go against ipg or mtr what issue is there with the player saying it? Or by extent, Alabaster asking a friend for advice on drawing or not as well?

MTR:

Spectators are responsible for remaining silent and passive during matches

Not everything in the MTR has an IPG infraction though. While breaking the CR is handled by the catch-all GRV, there is no catch-all infraction for breaking the MTR.
However, that does not mean that anything that doesn't fall within an IPG infraction is allowed. He still did something wrong and that could have non-IPG consequences, although usually that is simply education as long as it's not repeated.
This means it could also be Cheating if the player knew he was doing something wrong.

Edited Toby Hazes (Dec. 6, 2016 12:57:35 PM)

Dec. 16, 2016 10:54:45 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Southwest

OAs and Forever

After a bit of thought, Toby (Elliott, not Hazes - heh!) and I agree: this advice will likely influence the course of the game, and that makes it OA.

d:^D