Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Understanding Dependency

Understanding Dependency

April 8, 2017 12:02:51 AM

Brian Ross
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

Understanding Dependency

For reference:
613.7a An effect is said to “depend on” another if (a) it’s applied in the same layer (and, if applicable, sublayer) as the other effect (see rules 613.1 and 613.3); (b) applying the other would change the text or the existence of the first effect, what it applies to, or what it does to any of the things it applies to; and (c) neither effect is from a characteristic-defining ability or both effects are from characteristic-defining abilities. Otherwise, the effect is considered to be independent of the other effect.

Most of this rule seems pretty straight forward to me, but I had a bit of confusion regarding the bold section. Doing a bit of research, I found an old post describing dependency that shortened it to ‘how it works, but not how much it works’.

The question that brought this to mind was regarding Necrotic Ooze's interaction with Yixlid Jailer. Some of the research (and indeed the answer that was given) lead to the result of Ooze being dependent on the Jailer, since it changed which abilities it would get, and thus ‘what it does to any of the things it applies to’.

I can understand this logic, but wanted to ensure it was correct - especially after the summation I found in doing research. Since you could also read that it is still making the Ooze (same object it is applying to) gain ‘all abilities from all creature cards in your graveyard’ (doing the same thing to said object), and thus not dependent.

In a single question, what exactly entails ‘changing what it does to any of the things it applies to’, and what does not?

Edited Brian Ross (April 8, 2017 12:07:18 AM)

April 18, 2017 02:03:00 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

Understanding Dependency

Hi,

Yes, that is correct. The Ooze's ability is dependent on the effect of the Jailer, because if we apply the Jailer's effect first, that will change what abilities the Ooze will get (by removing the abilities of the creature cards in the graveyard, so the Ooze doesn't get any abilities). The Ooze's ability still applies, but doesn't really do anything, since none of the creature cards in the graveyard have any activated abilities to be gained (due to the Jailer's effect).

Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep