Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Snapcaster Mage and Split cards

Snapcaster Mage and Split cards

April 14, 2017 06:19:32 AM

Jean-François DURMONT
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

France

Hi everybody,

Let's say that I cast a Snapcaster Mage and I target a splt card in my graveyard with its trigger ability (for exemple, Boom // Bust).

Before the rules update, I would have paid one of two mana cost, the one of the half part I would have chose to cast, but now what happens ? Is it still true ?

Originally posted by Eli shiffrin:

The core of the change is that we're no longer assuming split cards have two sets of characteristics when they're not on the stack. Some characteristics have multiple pieces of information very naturally—Destined to Lead is an instant sorcery, the same as Ornithopter is an artifact creature. It's black and green just like Winding Constrictor because its mana cost has B and G in it. Continuing that, the mana cost combines the components, and a card asking for Destined to Lead's mana cost sees 4BG

It seems strange. As far as i know, I think that the flashback cost when the card is in the graveyard would be 6RR, and it would evolve to 1R or 5R depending the half part we choose to cast.

Thanks

Jean-François

Edited Jean-François DURMONT (April 14, 2017 06:46:57 AM)

May 10, 2017 09:12:26 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

Hi,

That's actually covered by this shiny new rule (as of the Amonkhet update):

702.1b An effect that grants an object a keyword ability may define a variable in that ability based on characteristics of that object or other information about the game state. For these abilities, the value of that variable is constantly reevaluated.
Example: Volcano Hellion has the ability “Volcano Hellion has echo {X}, where X is your life total.” If your life total is 10 when Volcano Hellion’s echo ability triggers but 5 when it resolves, the echo cost to pay is {5}.
Example: Fire//Ice is a split card whose halves have the associated mana costs {1}{R} and {1}{U}. Past in Flames reads “Each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until end of turn. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost.” Fire//Ice has “Flashback {2}{U}{R}” while it is in your graveyard, but if you choose to cast Fire, the resulting spell has “Flashback {1}{R}.”

So it behaves like it behaved before. If you want to flashback Boom, it will cost 1R, not 6RR.

Thanks,
Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep