Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Firesong and Sunspeaker + Spiritualize

Firesong and Sunspeaker + Spiritualize

April 19, 2018 06:38:28 AM

Milan Majerčík
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Europe - Central

Hi,

some players have asked me the following question and I just want to be sure what is the correct answer.

1. AP controls Firesong and Sunspeaker.
2. AP casts and resolves Spiritualize targeting F&S.
3. F&S somehow deals damage.

Will this result in a loop?

Players tried to apply CR 603.7d.
603.7d If a spell creates a delayed triggered ability, the source of that delayed triggered ability is that spell. The controller of that delayed triggered ability is the player who controlled that spell as it resolved.

I tried to explain that it does not work as intended, because F&S triggers for "white instant or sorcery spell" only, not an ability. I presented also one of rulings for F&S:
Firesong and Sunspeaker’s last ability doesn’t trigger if a triggered ability of a white instant or sorcery spell or card causes you to gain life, such as the triggered ability of Renewed Faith when it’s cycled.

Would you be so kind and confirm this?

By the way, what is the CR definition of the verb “to cause”? Because, the life gain would be caused by Spiritualize, albeit indirectly.

Edited Milan Majerčík (April 19, 2018 06:41:22 AM)

April 19, 2018 02:32:05 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

Hi,

No, this does not work. The life is not being gained by a white spell, it's being gained from a triggered ability. Since the trigger is the source of the life gain, not a spell, Firesong will not trigger.

Thanks,
Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep