Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Conceding while looking into hidden information about to be revealed

Conceding while looking into hidden information about to be revealed

July 18, 2018 07:28:12 AM

Leonardo da Luz
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Brazil

Hello folks,

An interesting scenario came through yesterday on our Slack group and we could not reach to an agreement, let's talk about it:

Anderson is playing against Nina. Nina has 44 cards in their library and 21 life. Anderson attacks with Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger and announce his trigger. Nina grabs 20 cards from the top of their library and browse at them. After seeing their 4 Paths to Exile in those cards and before revealing to exile, Nina concedes the game and shuffle the cards back in their library.

So, the thing here is: Nina conceded to avoid presenting information about their deck to Anderson, but gained access to hidden information in the process to determine the concede.

My point is that a player is able to concede at any point in the game, but I'm quite not certain about the information gained.

Is Nina commiting an infraction?

Let's discuss! :D

Edited Leonardo da Luz (July 18, 2018 07:29:05 AM)

July 18, 2018 09:46:05 AM

Camille POTTIER
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

France

Nina grabs 20 cards from the top of their library and browse at them.
They is two way of seeing this :
First, Nina just look at their library, it's either a massive GRV or cheating. But in both way that don't seems to fit the situation.
Second, Nina put 20 cards in exile, as exile is a free zone she can look at them at any time and she does so.

So we are likely in the second case and even if Nina concede she can't retain free information at the game state where she does so. If she is able to look at exile, Anderson is able to.

Nina surely don't know that was illegal to shuffle her library we can rule out cheating, in that case I rule a CPV with a warning for Nina.
Maybe there is better way to rule this.

July 18, 2018 10:10:32 AM

William Tiddi
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

BeNeLux

You can find this exact discussion here:
https://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/topic/27839/

Players can concede at anytime, regardless of game mechanics. As soon as they do, the game is over and any potential access to information is lost. It does not matter that technically that information was owed, match moved on and so should we.

July 18, 2018 02:52:27 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Thanks, William, for finding that thread!

Please, read through that thread; I think it covers everything. The short version: the CR allows you to concede at any time. Nina is not committing an infraction.

d:^D

(Thread closed, as it's a duplicate.)