Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Shortcutting shuffle effects

Shortcutting shuffle effects

Aug. 21, 2018 12:18:19 PM

Adrian Preston
Judge (Uncertified), Tournament Organizer

Australia and New Zealand

I have a question from a local player and just wanted to see how others would approach a hypothetical game state.

Say the player sets up an arbitrarily large number of soldier of fortune activations targeting the opponent. I'm looking through scenarios of resolving these and how it changes depending on board state.

No other effects:
Randomise once, and shortcut other shuffles due to no change of board state. I've had differing opinions on when a shuffle can be short cut and am interested to hear the why nots in this case.

Cosi's Trickster:
As above but add x counters for the arbitrarily large number chosen. Whilst there is change in the board state, it doesn't impact the randomisation.

And the tough ones
Lantern of insight:
This is where I think, if there is still a shortcut, it'd be randomising, revealing the deck, then randomising again? Alternatively Randomise, the deck one at a time from the top, then randomise? Obviously, due to the nature of randomising, this isn't a true fix, but it also stops the need for an arbitrarily large number of random reveals.

Finally:
Lost Legacy:
Say the player also has some infinite extract effect with a condition. Does the ability to shortcut change?

Interested to hear opinions.

Aug. 23, 2018 05:48:44 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

A few thoughts, here…

First, this isn't the forum for discussion topics, it's for Rules Q&A - i.e., judges ask questions about Rules, and ‘O’fficial sources provide Answers; every post in this forum is locked, automatically, to prevent un-official, speculative, and potentially misleading answers from accumulating. We only want correct answers when someone asks questions.

Second - an arbitrarily large number of Soldier of Fortune activations, eh? I hate to seem dismissive, but - this just doesn't happen enough to really worry about. Sure, it's feasible in some formats - Old School, perhaps? Commander, possibly? Kitchen-Table casual “fun only” decks? But in reality, it's not something that policy wonks are gonna lose any sleep over.

Given that there's not going to be an ‘O’fficial answer for this, I'll just share my ‘O’pinion - carefully considered, and you're welcome to use this at your next Kitchen-Table casual Commander Old School Magic&Margaritas shindig:

No other effects: yep, no need to shuffle more than once.
Cosi's Trickster: yep, no need to shuffle more than once.
Lantern: yep, no need to shuffle more than once.

Finally:
Originally posted by Adrian Preston:

Say the player also has some infinite extract effect
- uhhh, no. No, let's just not say that.

d:^D

Edited Scott Marshall (Aug. 23, 2018 05:49:15 AM)