Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Guilds of Ravnica Policy notes

Guilds of Ravnica Policy notes

Oct. 15, 2018 08:02:20 AM

Alfonso Bueno
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Grand Prix Head Judge, L3 Panel Lead

Iberia

Hello!

In my preparation for PT Guilds of Ravnica, I'm gathering frequent policy doubts to create a document with the official resolution of frequent situations.

With new mechanics and new cards it's normal finding situations that are not cristal clearly covered by the rules. This is not a flaw on the documents, it's caused because we judge a game with almost infinite possibilities. I would like to analyze such situations (together with the Policy sphere and GPHJ) before the event, in order to allow all judges (at the PT and at home) applying consistent rulings and fixes.

Situations I've in my radar:

CHARNEL TROLL: is its triggered ability a “default option” one?

UNDERREALM LICH: infraction and fix if controller draws 1 card forgetting its ability? Same if controller draws more than 1 card?

JUMPSTART: Infraction and fix if caster forgets to discard and draws a card (due resolution of the spell or triggered on casting the spell)?

I would like to ask help from the community to identify other situation that may be added to the document I'll create. Feel free to suggest generic policy questions not specifically attached to this set, but currently not clearly answered in the documents.
Please, feel free to translate and share this request in your local judge communication channels.

Thank you!

Edited Alfonso Bueno (Oct. 15, 2018 08:02:41 AM)

Oct. 16, 2018 07:10:51 AM

David Lachance-Poitras
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

There was this policy question in this thread that has not been officially answered yet related to MTR 4.8 (Reversing Decisions):
Link

Nov. 4, 2018 10:51:36 AM

Toby Hazes
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

BeNeLux

Dream Eater: New “when you do” policy, but this one has a “may” in the second part as opposed to others like Hypothesizzle, Glorybringer, etc. If a player surveils but then forgets to bounce anything, do we step in because they have to choose a target at least, or assume they declined to bounce?

Nov. 7, 2018 08:11:25 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

I'll point out that this thread is for identifying policy questions. Speculating about what those answers may be only serves to clutter this, somewhat obscuring the purpose.

I'll note that the Dream Eater question has provoked discussion by the Policy team.

d:^D

Dec. 8, 2018 04:57:48 AM

Alfonso Bueno
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Grand Prix Head Judge, L3 Panel Lead

Iberia

Hello all! I finally have this document ready. I apologize for the delay, it was more complicated than I expected, but I learned many lessons and I hope to be timely for next set:

https://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/topic/47303/?page=1#post-273160

Thank you very much to everybody who contributed with questions.