Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Mistake in the IPG

Mistake in the IPG

June 19, 2013 05:02:27 PM

Nicolau Maldonado
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Brazil

Mistake in the IPG

I have no idea if I'm posting this in the correct place, but here it goes:

While reading the IPG, I found this, under 2.4 (Improper Drawing at Start of Game):
Examples:
C. A player who is playing first (as opposed to drawing first) incorrectly draws a card during her first draw step.

This is worded poorly, since the player who is playing first skips his first draw step. Shouldn't this be changed?

June 19, 2013 09:07:52 PM

Toma Graves
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

USA - Northwest

Mistake in the IPG

Originally posted by Nicolau Maldonado:

I have no idea if I'm posting this in the correct place, but here it goes:

While reading the IPG, I found this, under 2.4 (Improper Drawing at Start of Game):
Examples:
C. A player who is playing first (as opposed to drawing first) incorrectly draws a card during her first draw step.

This is worded poorly, since the player who is playing first skips his first draw step. Shouldn't this be changed?

The definition (defined in the IPG) is: A player draws the wrong number of cards during pregame procedures, or does not skip their draw step while playing first. This infraction is only issued before a player takes a visible legal action during the game; if discovered after that point, the infraction is Drawing Extra Cards.

I believe this to be the case as it is very easy (and maybe common) that someone is so used to be on the draw and since no legal actions taken (see definition), the game state is easily rewound. I believe that is the philosophy.

June 19, 2013 09:10:51 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Mistake in the IPG

I'm not sure this (Rules Q&A) is the best spot for this question, either - but it seemed more appropriate than Tournament Ops.

Really, the error is that she doesn't skip that first draw step; that's (part of) why this isn't Drawing Extra Cards. We might be able to change the wording (I'll pass this along to those folks) - but you are the first one to point this out in, oh, six or seven years of that wording. I'd guess we're doing OK with it the way it is. :)