Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Olivia's death and SBAs

Olivia's death and SBAs

June 26, 2013 07:09:05 AM

Stefano Ferrari
Italy and Malta

Olivia's death and SBAs

Hello everyone, this is a playtest scenario where I got lost.

My opponent controls an Olivia Voldaren and a */* Elemental token of mine (it was generated after my Voice of Resurgence died earlier; then the token was vampirized and stolen using both of Olivia's abilities). The token is therefore a 2/2 but, for some reason, in this moment it has 1 damage marked on it.
In the meanwhile, I control other 3 creatures and I decide to Putrefy Olivia.

The question is: what happens next?

a) Olivia dies, SBAs are checked and the Elemental token dies because it's discovered as a 1/1 with 1 damage;
b) Olivia dies and the Elemental passes back to my control, SBAs check that it is now a 4/4 with 1 damage and it survives.

I understand that Olivia's second ability has created a continuous effect in place for the token control, but I am unable to order the events between the end of the continuous effect and the SBA check.

Thanks in advance if you can clarify this! :)
Stefano

June 26, 2013 02:18:17 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

Olivia's death and SBAs

The token survives. Your opponent will only control the token as long as they control Olivia. As soon as Olivia leaves the battlefield, its effect ends and you regain control of the creature, in this case, before state-based actions are checked.

So, in this situation, Putefry resolves, destroying Olivia. Since your opponent no longer controls Olivia, they immediately lose control of the token and you gain control of it. Since the token is under your control now, it becomes a 4/4 creature. Then, we check state-based actions, and the game doesn't really care about the token, since it is a 4/4 with one damage marked on it.