Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Diae with Retrace

Diae with Retrace

July 23, 2019 11:19:12 AM

Kazushi Shimamura
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Japan

Diae with Retrace

Hello judges

A player asked me that "Can I cast Force of will with pitch cost from graveyard when I have Wrenn and Six's emblem?“
I answered to ”yes. that is not Alternative Cost. so you can choice pitch cost.“
A player asked ”OK If same situation,I can play Daze with pitch cost right?“
I said to ”Of course“
A player asked to ”Can I discard to land card of returned by pitch cost for cost of Retrace if I don't have land in my hand?“
I know player can pay cost in any order, so I answered to ”Yes" at that time.

After that I talked to other judge for that situation.
We agreed to that a player can't play Daze at that situation.
Because player don't have enough resource before start to pay cost.

However if that is true ,that is strange situation.
I think if player have a land card in his hand, it is legal action that return land card and discard to that card.
But, can other people know that a player have other land in hand?
If a player return and discard that card, opponent can't know a player has other land in hand or not.
How does a player prove to have other land in his hand if a player want to discard to returned card?
Does A player have to separate return card and hand like Sylvan Library and have to discard to land in his hand?
But a player should be able to discard to returned card.
Or a player have to show land card in his hand?
It is no problem action but strange move at tournament scene.

It is not thought experiment and will be happen to legacy tournament.
Please tell me answer.

Thanks.

July 26, 2019 02:05:39 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

Diae with Retrace

Hi,

Thanks for your questions.

A player asked me that "Can I cast Force of will with pitch cost from graveyard when I have Wrenn and Six's emblem?“

Yes you can. Retrace is an additional cost, not an alternate cost (you're discarding the land in addition to paying the spell's normal costs), so you'll be able to use Force of Will's alternate cost when casting it via retrace.

A player asked ”OK If same situation,I can play Daze with pitch cost right?“

Yes, you can, for the same reason why you can cast Force of Will in the previous question.

A player asked to ”Can I discard to land card of returned by pitch cost for cost of Retrace if I don't have land in my hand?“

Yes you can. When you get around to paying costs, you can pay costs in any order you choose. You can choose to return the Island to your hand for Daze's alternate cost, then discard that same Island you just returned to your hand for the retrace part of the cost.

After that I talked to other judge for that situation.
We agreed to that a player can't play Daze at that situation.
Because player don't have enough resource before start to pay cost.

You're not going to find that rule, because that rule doesn't exist. There is no requirement that, in order to cast a spell, you have to immediately have access to those resources. You're going to run into tournament problems if you start to announce a spell, then fail to pay, but that's not what is happening here. You're announcing Daze, and when you get to the step where you pay the costs, you're able to pay them (by returning the land, then discarding a land).

If you have Wrenn and Six's emblem, a single Island in play, and Daze in your graveyard with no cards in your hand, you will be to cast Daze via retrace, by choosing to cast Daze via its alternate cost, returning your Island to your hand, then discarding that Island to pay for the cost of casting Daze. It does not matter that your hand is empty when you start to announce Daze, because the game doesn't care if you have the resources when you start announcement, just that you're able to pay for the spell when we finally get around to paying costs.

Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep