Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Ruling On Blood Scrivener and Read the Bones

Ruling On Blood Scrivener and Read the Bones

Oct. 3, 2013 11:58:58 AM

Anthony Abby Swyryt
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

Hello All, First post.

Last night one of the players in my LGS had a very unique situation, I made the Flash ruling, but I feel I need to confirm both the ruling and my understanding of why.

The Scenario:

Player A controls A blood Scrivener with one card in hand. He casts his only card, Read the bones. How many cards does he draw/life does he lose?

My Ruling as i explained it.

“When you cast the card it moves zones. So if there are no other cards in your hand with a spell on the stack, you are hellbent. Magic handles all instances of draw x cards as if it was draw 1 card x times, so you would scry 2, then draw a card twice. With that logic, blood scrivener would trigger on the first draw replacing the draw 1 card with 2, then you qould draw the second card. Essentially, you would scry 2, draw 3 cards and loose 3 life.”

When asked about muliples Scriveners, I just said it extrapolates, So 2 would be Scry 2 draw 4 loose 4, etc etc.“

My questions are:

1. Was my ruling correct?
2. Was the reasoning behind my ruling correct”
3. Would that explaination be suitable to deliver to a player without it being considered “advice”.

Thanks,

Tony

Edited Anthony Abby Swyryt (Oct. 3, 2013 06:40:35 PM)

Oct. 3, 2013 12:22:54 PM

Jason Lemahieu
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

USA - Great Lakes

While we await one of the official Forum Moderators to come and answer your question, I'll supply this hopefully helpful reading material from the Rules Tip Blog:

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2013/04/blood-scrivener-and-draw-two-cards-effects-2/

Oct. 30, 2013 03:37:18 AM

Daniel Kitachewsky
Judge (Uncertified)

France

The rules tip is correct.

Card draws always happen one at a time (draw 2 cards is equivalent to draw 1 card, then draw 1 card). When you replace a string of card draws, replacement effects can treat the first card draw differently from the others.

Daniel Kitachewsky
L3, Paris, France
Rules NetRep