Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Discussing opponents decks

Discussing opponents decks

Dec. 12, 2013 11:42:26 PM

Jeff Jeakins
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Two players sit down for match in second round. Are they allowed to discuss the decks they played against in the first round?

Is a player allowed to announce someone's combo for example to the rest of the players in the tournament?

Thanks

Dec. 12, 2013 11:52:40 PM

Kim Warren
Judge (Uncertified)

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

There is nothing to say that this is illegal. In part, this is because you would be very hard pushed to prevent players talking about previous matches in a tournament! Or looking at the matches on neighbouring tables, or wandering about and spectating after they finish their match…

Dec. 13, 2013 12:04:33 AM

Jeff Jeakins
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

So if you were judging the event..

After losing, Abra calls out “Look out for Boris Reckoner infinite life combo if you're playing Naomi everybody!”.

Naomi is annoyed by this and complains to you.

Do you just tell Naomi “I'm sorry but that's within the rules of acceptable behaviour”? Do you make any comment to Abra about etiquette?

Thanks

Dec. 13, 2013 12:07:14 AM

Kim Warren
Judge (Uncertified)

I would make a comment to Abra about etiquette, but that would be it. It is not sporting behaviour, but it is not actually doing anything illegal.

Dec. 13, 2013 12:11:20 AM

Jeff Jeakins
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

And if Abra responds “Uhh, that's totally not a rule.. Announcing player combos is perfectly legal” and continues to do so…

Would leave it at that or would it turn into a Serious Problem?

Thank you

Dec. 13, 2013 12:16:27 AM

Carlos Ho
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Grand Prix Head Judge, Regional Coordinator (Hispanic America - North), L3 Panel Lead

Hispanic America - North

A comment about etiquette it's just that, a comment. It's not a direct instruction.
You can tell the player about the consequences of his or her attitude if he or she continues to do so (most of the time being shunned by the rest of the community), but if the player chooses to go on with it and be potentially rejected by the rest of the players, that's fine. It's not our business to prevent players from being disliked.

Dec. 13, 2013 12:20:09 AM

Jeff Jeakins
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Perfect, thank you Kim/Carlos for clarifying for me

Dec. 13, 2013 12:26:50 AM

Adam Cetnerowski
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - Central

Yelling in the room is disruptive behavior. And not following instructions
of a judge to be quiete is disobeying a direct order.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Jeff Jeakins <
forum-7451-9474@apps.magicjudges.org> wrote:

> Perfect, thank you Kim/Carlos for clarifying for me
>
> ——————————————————————————–
> If you want to respond to this thread, simply reply to this e-email. Or
> view and respond to this message on the web at
> http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/post/44643/
>
>
> Disable all notifications for this topic:
> http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/noemail/7451/
> Receive on-site notifications only for this topic:
> http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/noemail/7451/?onsite=yes
>
> You can change your email notification settings at
> http://apps.magicjudges.org/profiles/edit
>
>

Adam Cetnerowski
Gdansk, Poland

Dec. 13, 2013 12:33:48 AM

Kim Warren
Judge (Uncertified)

There is a provision in the JAR saying “If you have warned a player who may be upsetting others and your warning has not curbed their behaviour, or if a player is being threatening or aggressive, these situations are Serious Problems”.

Depending on the situation, there is a possibility that Abra continuing the behaviour could fall into here. Normally, just asking the player to stop will prove sufficient. Where this is not the case, explaining the possible repurcussions of continuing the behaviour should certainly deal with it. I would recommend not introducing the threat of sanctions unless absolutely necessary and being very careful how you explain it, as it runs the risk of looking very heavy-handed and damaging the atmosphere of the event if players think perceive that a judge can kick you out for saying something that they don't like.

Dec. 13, 2013 12:36:18 AM

Jeff Jeakins
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Interesting… so would you be giving Abra a “comment about etiquette” or a “warning about upsetting others”?

(Assuming player is not shouting and disturbing the tournament)

Dec. 13, 2013 12:40:00 AM

Kim Warren
Judge (Uncertified)

In a first step, I would give Abra a comment about etiquette, whatever the situation.

If the player is not shouting and disturbing the tournament, no more problems! If they continued, I would give them a warning about upsetting others and explain the longe term consequences if they continue; if they then still continue, I would escalate further. But I think that this is very unlikely to happen.

Dec. 13, 2013 12:48:09 AM

Jeff Jeakins
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Thanks, as a Level 0 I'm just trying to get my around the difference between comments and warnings etc.

One further clarification… If a player continues to “upset others” by announcing and describing the tech of other participants he should be permitted to do so providing he doesn't do it in a disruptive manner?

This should not escalate to anything past a comment on etiquette?

Dec. 13, 2013 12:54:07 AM

Kim Warren
Judge (Uncertified)

If the player is just describing the tech of other players, for example talking to a friend or opponent about the contents of the deck of a previous opponent, there is literally nothing wrong with this. I would not even talk to them about etiquette. Players talking about other people's decks is completely standard behaviour. The problem really comes in if they are being disruptive.

Dec. 13, 2013 12:56:58 AM

Jeff Jeakins
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

I guess what I'm trying to get it is situations where majority of the players at a tournament are upset with something a player is doing that is not officially illegal. (i.e. etiquette)

Perhaps something like a player manaweaving but still presenting a sufficiently randomized deck afterwards. The player is stubborn and knows manaweaving is officially legal and will continue to do so. Is enough people being annoyed by something enough to actually ask the player to stop doing what they are doing?

Thanks ;)

Dec. 13, 2013 01:00:57 AM

Kim Warren
Judge (Uncertified)

If the player is doing something completely legal which is not disrupting the tournament in any way, then aside from just talking to them, there is really no reasonable grounds on which to do anything. For the mana weaving player, you can talk to them and explain how, because of the fact they need to sufficiently randomise their deck after, it doesn't do anything. But if they want to continue diong it and they aren't taking an unreasonable amount of time in doing so, then you are better off explaining to the other players how what they are doing has no actual effect as they are randomising afterwards and that it is fine/allowed.