Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Orcish Cannonade and Tamanoa

Orcish Cannonade and Tamanoa

Jan. 27, 2014 10:01:07 AM

Mario Haßler
Judge (Uncertified)

German-speaking countries

Orcish Cannonade “deals 2 damage to target creature or player and 3 damage to you”. Is this considered to be two damage-dealing events, so that Tamanoa's ability (“Whenever a noncreature source you control deals damage (…)”) will trigger twice? Or is it one damage-dealing event, and Tamanoa only triggers once? (That would make a difference, e. g. to Ajani's Pridemate.)

On one hand, I'd say that this is A) a single damage-dealing event affecting two damage recipients. On the other hand, Orcish Cannonade's wording sounds like there are B) two events, one following the other. That's why I am irritated.

My research brought me to CR 119.4a saying
First, damage is dealt, as modified by replacement and prevention effects that interact with damage. (…) Abilities that trigger when damage is dealt trigger now and wait to be put on the stack.
But that is not detailed enough for this case, and CR 700.1
Anything that happens in a game is an event. Multiple events may take place during the resolution of a spell or ability. The text of triggered abilities and replacement effects defines the event they're looking for. One “happening” may be treated as a single event by one ability and as multiple events by another.
doesn't help either.

Is there are general rule how to distinguish cases A) or B), or can it never be B) because one spell/ability = one damage event?

Mario Haßler

PS: Bonus - If B) turns out to be correct here, what if I cast Orcish Cannonade targeting me…?

Edited Mario Haßler (Jan. 30, 2014 12:51:33 PM)

Feb. 12, 2014 07:24:28 PM

Daniel Kitachewsky
Judge (Uncertified)

France

It's one event and Tamanoa triggers once.

The general rule for triggers that trigger off "X does “ is that one instance of ”does“ is one event.

So if your effect is worded ”X does to Y and Z", it's considered one single event. Same if your effect is worded "X does to all Zs.“ On the other hand, an effect worded ”X does to Y and does to Z", would be two events.

Compare this to triggers that trigger off "X does to a Z". In that case, it would trigger once for every affected Z.

Daniel Kitachewsky
L3, Paris, France
Rules NetRep

Feb. 12, 2014 07:32:16 PM

Daniel Kitachewsky
Judge (Uncertified)

France

Sorry, my previous answer used formatting wrongly and some words disappeared. Here's a second try.

It's one event and Tamanoa triggers once.

The general rule for triggers that trigger off “X does stuff” is that one instance of “does” is one event.

So if your effect is worded “X does stuff to Y and Z”, it's considered one single stuff event. Same if your effect is worded “X does stuff to all Zs.” On the other hand, an effect worded “X does stuff to Y and does stuff to Z”, would be two stuff events.

Compare this to triggers that trigger off “X does stuff to a Z”. In that case, it would trigger once for every affected Z.

Daniel Kitachewsky
L3, Paris, France
Rules NetRep