Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Using LKI for Eye of the Storm

Using LKI for Eye of the Storm

Feb. 17, 2014 07:29:01 AM

Beau
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Midatlantic

So an interesting situation came up in a casual game of mine, and though I feel like I resolved it correctly, I wanted to confirm… I have a resolved Eye of the Storm, with no spells currently exiled by it. The sequence is as follows:

(1) Opponent casts spell ‘A’. We allow the trigger to resolve, exiling ‘A’ and putting a copy of it onto the stack.
(2) I cast spell ‘B’ targeting the copy of spell ‘A’. My opponent responds to the trigger by casting spell ‘C’.
(3) We allow the trigger to resolve, and my opponent creates a copy of spell ‘A’ then ‘C’, resolves ‘C’, then resolves ‘A’. This copy of spell ‘A’ results in Eye of the Storm being destroyed.

Now, the question is… When my Eye of the Storm trigger from (2) begins to resolve, what spells will I create copies of? In-game, I created a copy of all three spells, as ‘A’ and ‘C’ were already exiled by Eye of the Storm meaning last known information would be able to determine the identity of those spells, and ‘B’ was being exiled by the same object, despite that object no longer existing. My basis for both of those decisions was similar rulings for Spellweaver Volute and Acolyte's Reward, respectively.

Edited Beau (Feb. 17, 2014 07:35:16 AM)

March 17, 2014 08:05:22 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

They will be able to cast spells A, B, and C.

Eye of the Storm has a linked ability. Even if the Eye is not on the battlefield, it knows which cards were exiled by the Eye. So when the trigger for spell B resolves, spell B is exiled, and the linked ability of the Eye knows that it has exiled spells A, B, and C, so they'll be able to cast all three of those spells if they want to.

Nathan Long
Wizard.Com Boards NetRep