Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: How State-Based Action Check works if 2 "things" need to be fix at same time?

How State-Based Action Check works if 2 "things" need to be fix at same time?

March 7, 2014 02:13:55 AM

Alex YEUNG
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy))

Greater China

Actually, this is not about ruling. It should be the mechanism behind the CR.

We all know that there are server SBAs.

My case is
I control an animated Gideon Jura, which means it is a creature. And i triggered Artisan of Forms ‘s heroic to made her become the copy of Gideon.

Now, we have to fix
1) a 0 loyalty Planeswalker (Artisan);
2) 2 planewswalker shared the same planewswalker type - Gideon

Obviously, the fixing order/choise lead to different stage, ONE PW (the real Gideon) or nothing.

So, i know that this would be the player’s choice.

But my questions would be, how to explain this logically

My hypothesis
1) During a SBA check, it found all “to-be-performed” SBA;
2) Player choose one to performed;
3) Immediatley re-check those selected “to-be-performed” SBA, if any still occured, repeat 2)~3).

I know that “…then performs all applicable state-based actions simultaneously as a single event…” CR704.3

But during a single event, there are serveral actions that do affect other actions.

We have “time-stamp”, “depandency”, “layer”, “replacement/prevent order” to solve other similar (not really, but quite similar scenario)

plz advise. thank you!

Best
Alex Yeung
L1, Hong Kong

===============================================================
Reference

Gideon Jura: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=238329

Gideon Jura
Planeswalker — Gideon (Loyalty: 6), 3WW (5)
+2: During target opponent's next turn, creatures that player controls attack Gideon Jura if able.
-2: Destroy target tapped creature.
0: Until end of turn, Gideon Jura becomes a 6/6 Human Soldier creature that's still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.

Artisan of Forms : http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373742
Artisan of Forms
Creature — Human Wizard 1/1, 1U (2)
Heroic — Whenever you cast a spell that targets Artisan of Forms, you may have Artisan of Forms become a copy of target creature and gain this ability.

March 11, 2014 11:37:13 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

We don't process some state-based actions before other state-based actions. We process them all at the same time. In your example, after the Artisan's trigger has resolves, we have two state-based effects that need to happen: we have a planeswalker with zero loyalty counters on it that needs to go to the graveyard, and we have a player who controls two planeswalkers with the same planeswalker subtype, and that player needs to choose one to keep and the other one to go to the graveyard.

The game don't really care that the Artisan Gideon is already on it's way to the graveyard due to another state-based action, so we can choose the original Gideon to keep and let the Artisan Gideon go to the graveyard. The Artisan Gideon will therefore be going to the graveyard for two different reasons, but the game is ok with that. There's no rule that says you have to get rid of the planeswalker that's not already gonig to the graveyard due to another state-based action.

Could the rules team decide to ‘order’ state-based actions? Sure, anything is possible. But they have no interest in doing that at this time.

Nathan Long
Level 2 Judge
Wizards.Com Boards NetRep
  • Index
  • » Rules Q&A
  • » How State-Based Action Check works if 2 "things" need to be fix at same time?