Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Deathtouched indestructible creature losing indestructible

Deathtouched indestructible creature losing indestructible

June 21, 2014 06:15:51 PM

Benjamin Bandelow
Judge (Uncertified)

German-speaking countries

This recently came up in a casual game at the store I'm judging at.

Nathan controls a Kozilek, Butcher of Truth enchanted with Darksteel Mutation. During combat, he blocks Anna's Sedge Scorpion. Combat damage is dealt. In her second main phase, Anna casts Disenchant on the Mutation. The players can't agree if Kozilek is getting destroyed or not. I am called at this point.

The question basically boils down to “does deathtouch check more than once if it destroys the creature affected by it” - I ruled that due to the wording of 702.2c deathtouch only checks during the next time SBAs are checked, so the Kozilek would still be in play.

Is this correct?

June 23, 2014 01:58:15 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

Nope, it's not destroyed. Here's the wording of the rule:

702.2c A creature with toughness greater than 0 that’s been dealt damage by a source with deathtouch since the last time state-based actions were checked is destroyed as a state-based action. See rule 704.

It only checks to see if it's been dealt damage by a source with deathtouch since the last time state-based effects were checked. After that point, there's nothing special about that point of damage. So Kozilek would survive as his normal 12/12 self once the Mutation has been destroyed after damage has been dealt.

Nathan Long
Wizards.Com Boards NetRep
  • Index
  • » Rules Q&A
  • » Deathtouched indestructible creature losing indestructible