Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Spectra Ward & Other Auras

Spectra Ward & Other Auras

July 7, 2014 12:49:01 PM

Trey Cizek
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Pacific West

Spectra Ward

The card states that it grants +2/+2 and grants protection from all colors, the effect of which doesn't remove auras. The FAQ states that new Aura spells (with one or more colors) cannot be cast targeting the creature, which makes sense, because the part of protection that stops targeting (702.16b) is separate from the part which protects from having Auras enchanting the object (702.16c).

What isn't clear is what happens if an effect attempts to attach a colored Aura onto the enchanted creature through a method other than being cast as a spell.

So, if my Slippery Bogle is enchanted with Spectra Ward, can my Sun Titan's trigger return Daybreak Coronet (or another colored Aura) to the battlefield attached to my Bogle?

One line of reasoning states that Spectra Ward's effect stops the whole of rule 702.16c from applying, which would suggest that yes, it can be attached. The other line of reasoning states that the part about attaching auras to it is still disallowed, and only the part of 702.16c that causes illegally attached auras to be put in the graveyard as a state-based action is disallowed. In this world, I can't attach further Auras to it.

I think this incongruity arises because the reminder text and the actual card wording don't line up perfectly. The card's rules text states only that auras on the creature don't get removed, while the reminder text completely omits the part about protection stopping Auras from enchanting the creature.

July 21, 2014 01:13:26 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

Yes, you can. Effectively, what Spectral Ward's ability does is turn off the “can't have enchantments of that type attached to it” part of protection for that creature. While you still can't cast a colored aura spell targeting it, if you're putting an aura on the battlefield with something like Sun Titan or Replenish, you can attach it to the creature enchanted by the Ward.

Nathan Long
Wizards.Com Boards NetRep