Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Surge and alternative cost?

Surge and alternative cost?

Jan. 13, 2016 03:03:14 PM

Jose Miño
Judge (Uncertified)

Hispanic America - South

I am reading the FAQ of OTG and in general notes, New Keyword: Surge says if an instant or sorcery spell cast for its surge cost is copied, the copy didn’t have its surge cost paid and any additional effects that are based on whether the surge cost was paid won’t apply for the copy.

why is this? if the rule 706.10 says a copy of a spell copy alternative cost.

Edited Jose Miño (Jan. 13, 2016 05:46:10 PM)

Jan. 18, 2016 07:40:14 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

The release notes were in error. From Rules Manager Matt Tabak, originally posted on reddit:

The OGW Release Notes contained the following bullet point:

• If an instant or sorcery spell cast for its surge cost is copied, the copy didn’t have its surge cost paid. Any additional effects that are based on whether the surge cost was paid won’t apply for the copy.

Yeah, that's wrong. Oops. Sorry. Not sure what I was thinking there. Maybe Torrent of Souls? Anyway, here's the correct version of that ruling:

• If an instant or sorcery spell cast for its surge cost is copied, the copy is also considered to have had its surge cost paid.

The correct ruling is based on rule 706.10, which says, in part, “A copy of a spell or ability copies both the characteristics of the spell or ability and all decisions made for it, including modes, targets, the value of X, and additional or alternative costs.”

AFAICT, this would have impacted precisely one combination of cards at the Prerelease (Mirrorpool and Crush of Tentacles), so there's that. I'm working on getting Gatherer updated. Updating the Release Notes themselves is trickier (so… many… languages…), but that document isn't the most useful now that the Prerelease has passed.

In conclusion, copy Crush of Tentacles all you want, Octopodes for all (if only for a brief time).

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/41lrta/small_error_in_ogw_release_notes_concerning_surge/

In short: copying a spell cast via surge will get you the surge bonus.

Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep