Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Comprehensive Rules and other documents before prerelease

Comprehensive Rules and other documents before prerelease

April 19, 2018 04:01:42 AM

Milan Majerčík
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Europe - Central

Hi,

is there a chance that judges will have access to updated versions of Comprehensive Rules and other documents before Prereleases of relevant sets?

Especially with such big updates, as we have for Dominaria, it could improve the quality of our rulings.

In the past, the information from Rules Update Bulletin and Release Notes was quite sufficient. However, the Dominaria information is just not detailed enough for my taste. I write a rules update article for a Czech webmag before each release and this time I have struggles with it - to have it informative and precise enough.

I think the main problem is that the Release Notes no longer provide actual quotes from new Comprehensive Rules. Also the 2HG major combat change is not mentioned in the Release Notes at all (except a small mention in a ruling for Baird, Steward of Argive). And we should know about such CR change especially before the Prerelease (where 2HG is relevant the most). Luckily, we have some information at least from the 2HG Release Notes produced by the Judge Community (but how can we be sure that those Release Notes are actually correct, if the authors do not have the new documents available???).

Is there anything we can do about it? For example, ask WotC kindly?

April 19, 2018 11:35:52 AM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

Hi,

No, this isn't something that's going to happen. By the time the documents would be ready for publication for judges (after going through editing and review), they would be just as ready for public display.

Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep
  • Index
  • » Rules Q&A
  • » Comprehensive Rules and other documents before prerelease