Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Goblin Welder and Sword of the Meek

Goblin Welder and Sword of the Meek

June 6, 2013 04:57:32 AM

Mario Haßler
Judge (Uncertified)

German-speaking countries

For Goblin Welder's ability, I choose a Sword of the Meek in play and a 1/1 artifact creature card in the graveyard as targets. When resolving, I sacrifice the first and return the second to the battlefield “simultaneously”. Without the word “simultaneously”, the 1/1 creature entering the battlefield should trigger the sword's ability, as the sacrifice happens first and the equipment is in the grave, ready to let its trigger go off when the creature returns.

However, there is this word “simultaneously”, and the question is, obviously: Will the ability of the Sword of the Meek trigger?

I'd say no. Although the game only checks after finishing resolving Goblin Welder's ability whether there are any triggered abilities to be put on the stack, the trigger condition has to be met at the precise moment. For the ability of the Sword of the Meek to trigger, the card has to be in the graveyrad while a 1/1 creature enters the battlefield. As the two objects change zones at the same time, I don't think that the condition is met, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Mario Haßler

June 10, 2013 10:31:48 AM

Daniel Kitachewsky
Judge (Uncertified)

France

It will trigger.

For triggered abilities, you look at the game state just after the event to see what triggers. There are a couple exceptions, such as leaves-the-battlefield triggers (which look at the game state just before the event unless they say “put into the graveyard from anywhere”). Here we are in the normal case, since the trigger event is “Whenever a 1/1 creature *enters* the battlefield under your control”.

So we check the game state just after the event, and we see that:
- Sword of the Meek is in the graveyard, where the ability functions (since the ability moves the Sword out of the graveyard, it functions only in the graveyard)
- A 1/1 creature has just entered the battlefield under your control

Both conditions are met and the ability triggers.

Daniel Kitachewsky
L3, Paris, France
Rules NetRep