Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Process for challenging an oracle ruling?

Process for challenging an oracle ruling?

April 19, 2019 10:16:21 AM

Dylan Stephano-Shachter
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

Note: I'm not sure where this question belongs. Feel free to move it if there is a more appropriate forum.

Every so often when looking up oracle rulings on gatherer, I find ones that either contradict the CR or seem wrong for some other reason. Is there any process for bringing these issues up? I'm not actually sure who is in charge of those rulings.

April 19, 2019 10:35:49 AM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

Hi,

There's two main ways you can do this:

1. You can message the Magic Rules Manager Eli Shiffrin via his Twitter account - https://twitter.com/EliShffrn Eli is in charge of maintaining the Gatherer rulings, so he would be the most direct source.

2. You can message me (Nathan Long) via JudgeApps, and I'll pass them along to Eli.

Note that Gatherer isn't updated constantly - it's generally only updated with set releases (and the update for War of the Spark is likely already locked in place), so it may take some time for a ruling to be corrected or updated.

Gatherer rulings are intended to always be accurate rulings. Judges should accept them as an official clarification of how cards work. Rulings may not account for edge cases (in which case, determine why the edge case makes it not applicable), but if a ruling appears to be factually inaccurate, inform us and we'll fix it. Telling a player or another judge to simply not trust Gatherer rulings is not correct.

Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep