Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Arixmethes & Rhythm of the Wild

Arixmethes & Rhythm of the Wild

May 5, 2019 03:21:20 AM

Tom Wood
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy))

Australia and New Zealand

Hi All.

If I control a Rhythm of the Wild and I cast an Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle and when I choose which order to apply the replacement effects, I choose to apply Arixmethes first and Rhythm second - do I get to put a +1/+1 counter on Arixmethes?

My understanding was that according to 614.12 when we apply replacement effects, we look ahead to see what the permanent would look like on the battlefield, taking into account any replacement effects that have already modified the permanent, and any continuous effects from the permanent's own static abilities that would apply to it once it's on the battlefield, and continuous effects that already exist and would apply to the permanent.

So when I apply Rhythm of the wild, I check what Arixmethes will look like on the battlefield. That is: He will have 5 slumber counters, and will be affected by his own static ability that says he is a land if he has slumber counters.

Could you please clarify how this interaction works?

May 9, 2019 02:30:53 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

Hi,

This question is acknowledged in the Gatherer rulings for Arixmethes:

Arixmethes isn’t a land until after it has entered the battlefield. Effects such as that of Blood Moon won’t affect its enters-the-battlefield ability. Similarly, replacement effects that modify how creatures you control enter the battlefield will see Arixmethes entering as a creature rather than a land. However, triggered abilities (such as landfall abilities) will see that a land entered the battlefield and not a creature.

So yes, you will get to apply the Rhythm to Arixmethes' entering.

Thanks,
Nathan Long