Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: London Mulligan

London Mulligan

June 7, 2019 02:20:24 PM

Piotr Łopaciuk
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Europe - Central

London Mulligan

Hello,

The new “London Mulligan” rule will be introduced with Core 2020 prerelease. Usually with this kind od rules changes, the new rules are in effect during prerelease. Then we wait until a release weekend and new Comprehensive Rulebook for them to be introduced into all play.

However, according to Ian Duke's article, I get an impression, that this rule will go live with the prerelease for all play. Do I understand it correctly?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/london-mulligan-2019-06-03

“Starting with tabletop Core Set 2020 Preleases on July 5, the new mulligan will be used for all play.”

Thank you and have a nice day :-)

Edited Piotr Łopaciuk (June 7, 2019 02:28:11 PM)

June 8, 2019 11:09:42 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

London Mulligan

The complete paragraph from that article is a bit clearer, to me; I've quoted it, below.

For Regular REL, “stores may opt to enact the new rule … before … July 5”. Put another way, stores can use the London Mulligan this weekend, for Modern Horizons. Hey, it's a prerelease, have fun with new stuff!

Competitive REl, however, has to wait for the new CR to take effect on July 12.

d:^D

Originally posted by Ian Duke:

We'll be rolling out the London mulligan in all tabletop and digital expressions of Magic with the release of Core Set 2020. Starting with tabletop Core Set 2020 Preleases on July 5, the new mulligan will be used for all play. It will become officially reflected in the comprehensive rules with the M20 rules updates on July 12. Stores may opt to enact the new rule for regular REL or lower events (including the Modern Horizons Prerelease) before the official rules change on July 5 to give players the opportunity to test out the new procedure. Competitive REL events cannot use the new rule until the official change.