Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Color indicator(CI) for "all colors" are gone?

Color indicator(CI) for "all colors" are gone?

June 24, 2019 09:20:10 AM

Youjin Choi
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

Greater China

In my community I had an issue dealing with color indicators(CIs) and color-defining characteristic-defining abilities(CDAs). Let me make it short… Someone brought a question which is;

"I control Muraganda Petroglyphs, Dryad Arbor, and Sphinx of the Guildpact. Which creature would get +2/+2 and why?"

As you know, when CI is created it replaces every color-defining CDA(by oracle text errata), and affected creatures with only CDA in it's oracle text becomes vanilla, including Dryad Arbor and Transguild Courier. Dryad Arbor now have a CI{G} replacing CDA{G}, and so is Transguild Courier.

And Ravnica Allegiance came out with Sphinx of the Guildpact. Officials at first tried to make CI for all colors but in the end they just returned once-obsolete(my think) color-defining CDA for all colors, just for the sphinx. And eventually Transguild Courier got its ability back. Now the golem is not vanilla, which is a sad story for Muraganda Petroglyphs.

Yes, my answer was “Both Dryad Arbor and the Golem does not get +2/+2. CI is not ability, but CDA is, but Dryad Arbor has a mana ability, you know.”

At this point I am caught up by unsolved agonies. Many players get confused in that CI and color-defining CDA works exactly the same, and even once CIs totally replaced such CDAs, but Dryad Arbor gets +2/+2 and Golem does not.

Is CI is technically replacing color-defining CDA? Or is CI only for one, two, or three colors because now there are only such cases? (there is no 4-color CIs, CIs for all colors, CIs for colorless) Should I just depend on the official oracle text of Gatherer for this one?

Edited Youjin Choi (June 24, 2019 09:34:02 AM)

June 27, 2019 09:11:35 PM

Callum Milne
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

You should always reference a card's current Oracle text when checking how it functions. If the Oracle text says the card has a color indicator, that's what it has. If the Oracle text says the card has a CDA, that's what it has.

While both color indicator and color-defining CDAs are used to define a card's color, the two are not the same thing, and there are important functional differences between the two, Muraganda Petroglyphs being perhaps the most straightforward.