Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Questions about Color indicator and color defining rule .

Questions about Color indicator and color defining rule .

June 24, 2019 06:36:25 AM

Jae-jeong Lee
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Greater China

Hello. This is Jaejeong Lee, And I brought a questions about color indicator and color identifying abilities.
It could be an extended question from Yujin Choi's.

1. On Feb, 2019 Maro anounce that there would be no 5-color color indicator would not be apear, and it's ability would works like an rule text. (https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/182039907923/why-isnt-there-a-5-color-color-indicator-on) as a result, Transguild Courier get a rule text, and can't get bonus from Muraganda Petroglyphs.

Muraganda Petroglyphs {3}{G}
Enchantment
Creatures with no abilities get +2/+2.

2. But, as we can find in gatherer, Dryad Arbor still have color indicator and doesn't have rule text about color.

Dryad Arbor
Color Indicator: Green
Land Creature — Forest Dryad
(Dryad Arbor isn’t a spell, it’s affected by summoning sickness, and it has “{T}: Add {G}.”)
1/1

Then, Gatherer shows us as below
- We still have color indicator for 1,2,3 colored cards, but we only don't have color indicator for 5colored card.

I can make the conculsion only 2 case.
Case 1. All color indicator will be deleted. Color identifying ability is a text.
Case 2. We still have color indicator for 1, 2, 3 colored cards, but have not for 4,5 colored card.

If case 1 is right, how about tokens and the card with suspend and not having mana costs? Are they have rule text about their color?
For example, the citizen token form Planewide Celebration. It's token has rule text, but I think it's wrong.
Because other tokens in same block never have rule text about it's color.

Planewide Celebration {5}{G}{G}
Sorcery
Choose four. You may choose the same mode more than once.
• Create a 2/2 Citizen creature token that’s all colors.
• Return target permanent card from your graveyard to your hand.
• Proliferate.
• You gain 4 life.

If case 2 is right, why only 5-colored cards are special? I couldn't find it's reason.
the citizen token from Planewide Celebration has text about it's color, but why not the Black Zombie Army token form same block has not text about it's color?

Bleeding Edge {1}{B}{B}
Sorcery
Up to one target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn. Amass 2. (Put two +1/+1 counters on an Army you control. If you don’t control one, create a 0/0 black Zombie Army creature token first.)

I tried to find the answer, and talked with other judges many time, but could not make conclusion.
Is there anyone could give me clear answer? I will wait for.

Thanks in advance.

Edited Jae-jeong Lee (June 24, 2019 06:42:29 AM)

June 27, 2019 03:32:36 PM

Callum Milne
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Cards that have color indicators have them because R&D has decided to give them color indicators. Cards that do not have color indicators don't have them because R&D has decided not to give them color indicators. If you want to know what criteria R&D uses to decide which cards get color indicators and which do not, you'd have to ask them–it's their decision to make, not the judge program's. We merely enforce the rules and card wordings that R&D gives us.

As for Planewide Celebration, the tokens it creates do not have rules text that specifies their color–the effect that creates them simply specifies their colors (all of them), exactly the same way that Amass specifies the color of its own token (black). It simply uses a slightly different wording to do so, presumably because in this case it's clearer and more concise than the alternatives the English language allows.
  • Index
  • » Rules Q&A
  • » Questions about Color indicator and color defining rule .