Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Sinister Concoction and Progenitus

Sinister Concoction and Progenitus

July 26, 2019 11:46:36 PM

Satoshi Oishi
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Japan

Hello judges.

I have a Sinister Concoction and Progenitus on the battlefield, and have enough mana, lives and empty library.
EDIT:I have a Progenitus in my hand, not on the battlefield.

Can I activate Sinister Concoction with legal target? And can I pay those cost successfully?

There are some discussion about “enough resource”
in Japanese guru community. They think 118.3 prevent this payment because I don't have “enough resource.”

Please let me clarify about 118.3.

Thank you.

EDIT:Of course I have enough card to discard in my hand, but I forgot to write.

Edited Satoshi Oishi (July 27, 2019 02:23:42 AM)

July 30, 2019 09:17:29 AM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

Hi,

To clarify your question (since it was edited from the original post): There is a Bear Cub on the battlefield. You have Progenitus in your hand, no cards in your library, and Sinister Concoction in play with enough resources otherwise to activate it? Yes, you are able to activate the Concoction's ability. When you get to paying costs, you can pay the costs in any order you want. You can choose to discard Progenitus first, shuffling it into your (empty) library, then choose to put the top card of your library (once again, Progenitus, which gets shuffled back in again), as well as the rest of the cost, to activate the ability. As long as you end up paying all of the costs to activate it, you're fine - it does not matter that, when you start 601.2h, you don't have any cards in your library, because as long as you pay the costs in the proper order, you'll be able to pay the cost to activate the ability.

Thanks,
Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep