Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Unbound Flourishing and Hydrioid Krasis

Unbound Flourishing and Hydrioid Krasis

Aug. 28, 2019 04:54:28 AM

Takeshi Sue
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Japan

While Unboud Flourinshing is out, its controller cast Hydroid Krasis with X = 2, and put those triggered abilities Unboud Flourinshing's first (bottommost) and Hydrioid Krasis's second (topmost). After all the abilities resolved, how many cards the player drew?

I'm not sure whether Krasis's triggered ability is independent from its source according to CR.113.7a, or it referers the value of X of Krasis spell on the stack.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: Soon after I posted, Mario Hassler send me a mail and told me the gatherer ruling that read “If a permanent has an ability that triggers when it’s cast and that references the value of X, you choose whether to double the value of X before or after that ability resolves”. Thank you Mario Hassler.

Therefore, what I want to know changed from what the ruling is to where the CR is relevant.

Thank you.

Edited Takeshi Sue (Aug. 28, 2019 06:52:45 AM)

Sept. 17, 2019 11:22:57 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

Hi,

This is the rule you're looking for:

608.2g If an effect requires information from the game (such as the number of creatures on the battlefield), the answer is determined only once, when the effect is applied. If the effect requires information from a specific object, including the source of the ability itself, the effect uses the current information of that object if it’s in the public zone it was expected to be in; if it’s no longer in that zone, or if the effect has moved it from a public zone to a hidden zone, the effect uses the object’s last known information. See rule 113.7a. If an ability states that an object does something, it’s the object as it exists—or as it most recently existed—that does it, not the ability.

The trigger looks at what X is when the triggered ability resolves, not when the trigger is put on the stack. Therefore, if you resolve the Flourishing trigger before you resolve the Krasis' triggered ability, the value of X for the Krasis has doubled, so the trigger will use the current value of X for the Krasis (of course, if you'd rather draw fewer cards and gain less life, you can choose to resolve the Krasis' trigger before the Flourishing trigger).

Thanks,
Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep