Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Platinum Angel question

Platinum Angel question

Nov. 1, 2013 10:22:17 AM

Gareth Tanner
Judge (Level 2 (UK Magic Officials))

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Platinum Angel question

A situation on MTGO has been brought to my attention via the UK judge groups and has caused a little confusion between some judges and I was hoping to get an answer:

My opponent controls Platinum Angel and is on negative life. He attacks me with all of his creatures including the Angel. I block the Angel with a 4/5 (which will kill it), but the remaining attackers are lethal. MTGO ended the game in a draw, implying that the death of the angel and my reduction to negative life happened simultaneously, thereby creating a draw. However, this is what the comp rules have to say:

Rule 704.3:
…the game checks for any of the listed conditions for state-based actions, then performs all applicable state-based actions simultaneously as a single event. If any state-based actions are performed as a result of a check, the check is repeated

Reading that in plain English, there are two state-based actions to perform: (i) destroy a creature with lethal damage (Rule 704.5g); and (ii) a player with zero or less life loses (Rule 704.5a). Only once it does the first round of actions can it check again (and make my opponent lose). But surely the game should end the moment I lose, and not continue on?

Nov. 13, 2013 01:21:44 AM

Daniel Kitachewsky
Judge (Uncertified)

France

Platinum Angel question

Your opponent wins.

As you state, all state-based actions are checked and then applied simultaneously, then further checks are done until no state-based actions are generated. In your situation, you lose the game upon the first round of state-based actions and the game stops there.

Daniel Kitachewsky
L3, Paris, France
Rules NetRep