Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Whip of Erebos and Exile effects

Whip of Erebos and Exile effects

Nov. 25, 2013 12:32:01 AM

Darrin Sisneros
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

I ran into this question at my LGS during the weekly modern tournament. The store owner, who was also the de facto judge, ruled, but I wasn't sure if it was correct or not.

Antione was in his first main phase and activated Whip of Erebos returning Primeval Titan. With Primeval Titan's trigger on the stack, Nancy activates Aether Vial using its ability to bring Fiend Hunter onto the battlefield. Nancy uses Fiend Hunter's ability to exile Primeval Titan. Antione resolves Titan's ability then passes the turn. Nancy attacks with Fiend Hunter and a couple other creatures. Antoine uses Go for the Throat to kill Fiend Hunter. When Antione went to return Primeval Titan to the battlefield, Nancy called for a judge since she believed that Titan was exiled for good. The TO ruled that Primeval Titan remained in exile and wasn't returned by Fiend Hunter's second ability.

Is this correct? My understanding is that Whip only cares that the creature is exiled; so as long as it is exiled, even if by another card's effect, Whip is satisfied and any other effects that may return that creature to play may still resolve normally. This is why Whip works so well with Obzedat, Ghost Council. Am I mistaken?

Nov. 25, 2013 01:27:32 AM

Daniel Kitachewsky
Judge (Uncertified)

France

It returns to the battlefield.

Whip of Erebos replaces zone changes to any other zone than exile, as evidenced by the wording “exile it instead of putting it _anywhere else_”. Once the creature has been exiled, it's a new object that's no longer tracked by the Whip's effect.

Daniel Kitachewsky
L3, Paris, France
Rules NetRep