Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Shadow of the Grave FAQ question.

Shadow of the Grave FAQ question.

April 21, 2017 07:00:13 PM

Cris Plyler
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Central

I have a question on one of the rulings for Shadow of the Grave. So it states:

- If you discard a card with madness but don't cast it, Shadow of the Grave can find it in your graveyard. If you do cast that card, Shadow of the Grave can't find it in your graveyard.

So with madness you discard a card into exile and then a triggered ability allows you to cast it, or if it's not cast it's put into its owner's graveyard. So I'm questioning how Shadow of the Grave can find the card if they choose not to cast it. My reasoning on why I don't believe it should be found is because when it leaves exile and goes to the graveyard it becomes a new object with no relation to the object that used to be in exile.

Thanks.

Edit - New comp. rules clears things up and answers the question. So it can indeed be found in GY.

Edited Cris Plyler (May 2, 2017 08:44:19 PM)

May 4, 2017 11:55:59 AM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

Hi,

Thanks to this shiny new rule, if the madness card isn't cast via its madness trigger, the Shadow will be able to return it to your hand.

400.7i After resolving a madness triggered ability (see rule 702.34), if the exiled card wasn’t cast and was moved to a public zone, effects referencing the discarded card can find that object.

Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep