Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Needed clarification for CR 500.07?

Needed clarification for CR 500.07?

March 12, 2018 04:35:20 AM

Jose Miguel Sanchez Navarro
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Iberia

Sorry for spam if this question is resolved yet, but i can't find it.

1- AP cast Time Wrap targeting AP, NAP response with Fork targeting Time wrap and changing new target to NAP
2- Both spells resolves and now we have AP extra turn (T1) from time wrap and NAP extra turn (T2) from Fork effect
3- AP cast another Time wrap targeting itself and resolves (T3).

On CR we have.
500.7 Some effects can give a player extra turns. They do this by adding the turns directly after the specified turn. If a player is given multiple extra turns, the extra turns are added one at a time. If multiple players are given extra turns, the extra turns are added one at a time, in APNAP order (see rule 101.4). The most recently created turn will be taken first.

On this rule i see a contradiction:
First: Turns are added directly after the specified turn. it would be understood as “turn created, turn added”, this would finally take turns T3,T2 and T1 in this order
Second: If a player is given multiple extra turns, the extra turns are added one at a time. ¿it means if i get multiple turns separately i will take them consecutively as AP cause i get “multiple turns”?
T3, T1 and later T2??

I think this last sentence applies to cards like Time Stretch when a player gets multiple turns at same time

I'm Wrong understanding CR500.07? or it will be needed a clarification??

Edited Jose Miguel Sanchez Navarro (March 12, 2018 04:36:28 AM)

March 13, 2018 12:38:45 AM

Callum Milne
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

When CR00.7 talks about a player being given multiple extra turns, it's only talking about cases where a player is given those turns all at the same time, as with Time Stretch and cards like it–it wouldn't make sense for a player to somehow take more than one turn simultaneously, so the rules specify that the turns are added (and therefore are taken) one at a time.

This case doesn't apply to your Time Warp scenario, because the multiple different copies of Time Warp are all resolving (and therefore giving their targets extra turns) at different times, not simultaneously.

So, what order do we take those turns in? Well, let's walk through the situation and find out. The active player plays Time Warp, but the nonactive player responds with Fork, creating their own copy of the spell with themselves as the target. No Time Warps have yet resolved, so no extra turns have yet been added, and we currently have only the normal turn structure–the active player's turns are color coded blue, and the nonactive player's turns are red:
AP (Current turn) -> NAP -> AP -> NAP(And so on)
The copy of Time Warp created by Fork resolves and creates a turn for the nonactive player; we'll refer to it as T2, since that's what you called the Fork-Warp's extra turn above.
AP (Current turn) -> T2 -> NAP -> AP -> NAP(And so on)
The original Time Warp now resolves, creating a turn for the active player. As above, this will be T1.
AP (Current turn) -> T1 -> T2 -> NAP -> AP -> NAP(And so on)
And finally, the active player plays a second Time Warp, which then resolves and creates another extra turn for them (T3).
AP (Current turn) -> T3 -> T1 -> T2 -> NAP -> AP -> NAP(And so on)

So this is the final order for taking the extra turns: T3, T1, T2, which is the reverse of the order those turns were created in