Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Pir, Walkers loyalty, and Doubling Season

Pir, Walkers loyalty, and Doubling Season

July 10, 2018 01:39:34 AM

Stephen Hagan
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

USA - Central

This was asked earlier but it was prior to release and the topic got closed as protocol.

I know Pir adds an extra loyalty when you roll them up as he doesn't state effect, but, this question is still unclear to me after the FAQ.

Thanks in advance.

The earlier post asked.

If I activate a +2 ability of a planeswalker while I control both Pir, Imaginative Rascal (new card from Battlebond) and Doubling season, how many counters are put onto the planeswalker?

If I'm not mistaken, the answer is 6.
Pir replaces the 2 counters with 3 (note that Pir doesn't say effect). Now the 3 counters are being placed as part of an effect, rather than a cost, so Doubling Season can affect it.

614.16: Some replacement effects apply “if an effect would create one or more tokens” or “if an effect would put one or more counters on a permanent.” These replacement effects apply if the effect of a resolving spell or ability creates a token or puts a counter on a permanent, and they also apply if another replacement or prevention effect does so, even if the original event being modified wasn't itself an effect.

July 10, 2018 01:44:18 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

Hi,

The previously quoted rule (614.16) is the rule that applies (specifically, the last sentence). Normally, Doubling Season cannot apply to a cost, since a cost is not an effect. But if another replacement effect (like Pir's ability) applies, Doubling Season can now apply to that event and can double the counters. In the stated case, the planeswalker would end up gaining six loyalty counters (the ability would add 2, Pir adds one, then Doubling Season gets to apply and it ends up gaining six counters).

Thanks,
Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep