Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Non-Factory Cut cards in Competitive play.

Non-Factory Cut cards in Competitive play.

May 9, 2019 03:06:13 PM [Original Post]

Maxime Emond
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

Hello! Following WotC's announcement about sending a foil mythic/rare uncut sheet to everyone that got their mythic eidition order cancelled, I was bombarded by questions from players to know if cards cut out of the sheet are allowed in tournament play.

EDIT : My thought process is that it's very had to control the size of such card, since they are not factory cut, and may therefore be considered marked, but we already have existing card differences (alpha VS the rest) where alpha cards are usable if in purely opaque sleeves.

So, requesting “O” answer please and thank you very much!

Edited Maxime Emond (May 10, 2019 10:36:21 PM)

May 10, 2019 07:45:13 PM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

At this time, the answer is a conditional “yes” - if someone is able to cut the cards precisely, such that they're indistinguishable from cards you'd find in a booster, then they meet the criteria in MTR 3.3 and can be used.

There is an exception for Alpha cards, but these are not Alpha cards - so that exception doesn't apply. The cut must mimic that of a “normal” Magic card to the extent that we won't consider them Marked Cards - i.e., I agree with your thoughts re: the difficulty of cutting cards correctly.

d:^D

May 10, 2019 09:57:47 PM

Johannes Wagner
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

German-speaking countries

Are intentional miscuts e.g. https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0316/13/mtg-nfc-miscut-revised-tropical_1_502eca40b211d8a04777b93de189b832.jpg fine?
Something like those got regularly played on Stream @ Legacy SCG events in the past.

May 11, 2019 12:46:02 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Part of me just wants to roll my eyes and mutter “why would anybody ruin an uncut sheet like that?!” … but I know, different strokes for different folks & all that.

As I noted above, the current wording of the MTR would allow that.

d:^D