Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Spark Doubling a Spark Double infinitely?

Spark Doubling a Spark Double infinitely?

May 12, 2019 10:51:34 AM

Jeff Kruchkow
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Great Lakes

Ok, so let's say I Neoform a 3 drop into a spark double, and choose not to copy anything. So I have a plain Spark Double (1) in play with a +1/+1 counter so it lives. Then I play another spark double (2) copying the initial one. So on the stack I have a spark double (2) that is a copy of (1) and will enter play with an additional counter. Can I think choose for this effect to again copy then one in play and do a loop of that until my thing enters with a billion extra counters?

May 14, 2019 02:42:18 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

Hi,

As mentioned by the rules manager on Twitter yesterday, yes, this currently works. The counter is not part of the copy effect, so it's not overwritten when you apply the new copy effect, so it will accumulate counters. Or, as the rules manager put it:

Apply replacement, then it sets up a replacement for a counter and a copy effect. The copy effect makes a new replacement applicable. Apply replacement, then it sets up a replacement for a counter and a copy effect. The copy effect makes a new replacement applicable. Apply rep…

However, there is a fix in the works (and I believe the update is planned to be released with the Modern Horizons update) that will close this loophole and it will no longer work.

Thanks,
Nathan Long

Edited Scott Marshall (May 14, 2019 05:19:56 PM)