Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Phenax, God of Deception and Imprisoned in the Moon

Phenax, God of Deception and Imprisoned in the Moon

May 16, 2019 12:36:23 AM

Graham Bird
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

Looking for an ‘o’fficial answer and rules explanation on the interaction between Phenax, God of Deception and Imprisoned in the Moon.

I have a Phenax, God of Deception, a Wall of Frost and enough other things that make my devotion to U/B more than 7. My opponent casts an Imprisoned in the Moon targeting my Phenax, and it resolves no problem.

My question is whether or not my Wall of Frost has the “T: Mill X cards where X is this creatures toughness”. I was quite confident that it had the ability because Phenax and Imprisoned apply in the same layer when adding and removing abilities and Phenax came in first having the older timestamp and applying first. After speaking with a local L2, I thought it may be a Dependancy thing because of the way he explained it, but he wasn't 100% sure, and now neither am I.

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

June 5, 2019 03:15:04 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

Hi,

Thanks for your question. Yep, this is just dependency - we always apply the Moon's effect first, removing Phenax's ability, and since Phenax no longer has its abilities, your creatures won't gain the mill ability.

Thanks,
Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep